SCODE (Sustainable Community Development services) is a community based organization started in the year 1996 whose aim is to enable people in Kenya especially the poor, to improve their quality of life by adopting technologies and approaches that are environmental friendly and contribute towards sustainable development.
An important part of SCODE’s work is lobbying for best practices and influencing their adoption through sharing information on its experiences, approaches and lessons. This has been to a greater extent, achieved through trainings and seminars and participating in national and regional networks.
Over the years, there has been an increase in interest for Renewable Energy Technologies (RET’s) by individuals, institutions and governments the world over. The challenges posed by climate change has led institutions and businesses to rethink how they do business thereby adopting greener practices and approaches.
SCODE has a longstanding reputation in the formulation and implementation of community-focused renewable energy and climate change adaptation projects.
SCODE has its Head office in Nakuru along Nakuru-Nyahururu road.
SCODE envisions itself to be the lead NGO in the promotion and development of the most efficient and effective cleaner energy technologies and sustainable land use approaches for sustainable livelihoods of both men and women.
SCODE exists to facilitate adoption of cleaner energy technologies and sustainable land use approaches through capacity building, market development and applied research for enhanced livelihoods of both men and women.
- Professionalism with a passion for the environment
- Accountability and transparency
- Service to community
- Gender equity
To promote environmental conservation for better livelihoods
- To promote the use of efficient and effective energy technologies
- To promote sustainable land use approaches
- To strengthen the capacity of grassroots communities to sustainably manage their natural resources
- To sensitize grassroots communities and build their capacity in renewable energy and sustainable land use management
- To carry out applied research activities in sustainable natural resources management at local, regional and national levels.
- To establish cooperative links and partnerships with any organization, agency, or institution in Kenya, and elsewhere, working in natural resources management.
Type of Programmes
The organization has two key programmes which work with groups, individuals and institutions through training, technology testing, extension and networking. The programmes are:
Renewable Energy Technologies (RETs) which focuses on the conservation & sustainable utilization of renewable energy resources to reduce Indoor air pollution enhance food security and improve income of both men and women.
Sustainable land use management (SLUM) which aims at improving food security and income levels of small scale men and women farmers through the adoption of low external input environment friendly technologies and approaches.
-The team, lets remove the social media buttons and probably include email contact for the various staff.